Thursday, December 22, 2005

The Memorial

I went to Mike's memorial today. It was interesting seeing a Catholic church so full of punk rockers. Many nice things were said about Mike and many cool stories were shared. My downstairs neighbor Skinner told of he and Mike's bicycle gang The Shifters and someone else observed that over half of the people in attendance had been in a band with Mike at some time. His uncle talked about helping him move and asking if he had any kitchen utensiles. Mike held up a fork.
Mike was not on a career path, moved a-lot, would couch surf or crash with his folks. I hope everyone that knew him knew what a success he was. He succeeded at maintaining his intergrity, making great music, traveling all over the damn place and touching the lives of everyone who met him in a really positive way. I'm going to listen to some Popesmashers now, and enjoy his awesome drumming. I'm glad I knew him. I'm thankfull for so many good people out there today appreciating what a wonderful man we've lost.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

" I hope everyone that knew him knew what a success he was. He succeeded at maintaining his intergrity, making great music, traveling all over the damn place and touching the lives of everyone who met him in a really positive way."

Describes his life perfectly. His life makes all my troubles come into focus to what they really are. Bullshit. Mike is proof that the only thing anybody needs in this world is honesty, passion, compassion, integrity, friends,and a crappy drum set to ROCK.

-Andre

KLJ said...

Yeah. I've been examining my own life and priorities as well. Living in a way that Mike would be proud of isn't a bad goal.